Assistance to Families & Early Enrichment Programs
Children & Family Support Specialist: Meg Walkley | (707) 441-2015
Children and Family Support (CFSS) services are funded through a unique partnership between First 5 Humboldt and Humboldt County Office of Education to support the vision that "All Humboldt County children thrive in healthy, supportive, nurturing families and neighborhoods, enter school ready to learn and become active participants in their communities" (First 5 Humboldt Strategic Plan). The scope of this work includes:
Supporting First 5 Humboldt Parent and Family Support (PFS) Programs
- Providing assistance to First 5 Humboldt funded playgroups and other PFS programs via site visits and trainings to increase program quality.
- Providing child development, parent education and early childhood mental health support to PFS families via site visits, an "Ask Omi" column and a Twitter account.
For "Ask Omi" article archives and more information about First 5 Humboldt go to www.humkids.org
The 0 to 8 Mental Health Collaborative
- Working with the 0 to 8 Mental Health Collaborative Planning & Advisory Group to identify and organize trainings to cultivate a qualified early childhood mental health workforce across disciplines.
- Coordinating ongoing professional development opportunities post trainings.
- Facilitating communication and networking related to early childhood mental health across disciplines and agencies.
- Working toward developing the infrastructure for an "in-county" early childhood mental health certification process.
- Providing training to education and family services organizations on topics related to early childhood mental health.
- Providing training and support to Community Transition Teams focused on school readiness best practices, with the recognition that school readiness truly starts at birth.
- Co-leading the Decade of Difference Early Success Workgroup, with its emphasis on early attachment, early enrichment and early literacy, Community Transition Teams.
Child Abuse Prevention Coordinating Council Coordinator
The Child Abuse Prevention Coordinating Council of Humboldt County (CAPCC) partners with Humboldt County Office of Education to support Meg Walkley's coordination of the Council. Go to http://capcchumboldt.org for more information regarding CAPCC.