Early Childhood Education
Partners in Early Enrichment Program Support (P.E.E.P.S.)
California Preschool Instruction Network (CPIN) Region 1
The P.E.E.P.S. Team (left to right): Judi Anderson, Cindi Kaup, Meg Walkley, Beth HeavilinThe early childhood team at the Humboldt County Office of Education is focused on supporting families and the educational community working with children 0-8 years of age. Our five major areas of focus are:
- Professional Development for families, educators and the community. Some topics include: parenting, early childhood mental health, the Preschool Learning Foundations and Transitional Kindergarten.
- Specific onsite technical assistance and support for preschool programs in need, family childcare providers, Community Transition Teams, Playgroups, and Family Resource Centers.
- Outreach and parent education including TV and radio ads, online resources, parent education at playgroups and answer questions from the community about early education resources
- Collaboration. The P.E.E.P.S. team participate and lead many early childhood collaborative efforts in Humboldt County including the 0-8 Mental Health Collaborative, the Early Success workgroup with Decade of Difference, the Local Child Care Planning Council, the Transitional Kindergarten Professional Learning Community and the Child Abuse Prevention Coordinating Council.
- Collecting data. The Local Childcare Council assesses the local childcare needs by collecting data. The Kindergarten Screening Tool was developed to assess a child's readiness for kindergarten. In 2012, more than 1200 incoming kindergarteners were assessed using this new tool. The data is used to guide teacher instruction, determine placement, apply interventions for individual students, for a whole classroom and for the whole county.